Lion fresh install – How to retrieve iDVD from Snow Leopard or upgraded Lion on another Mac
Because all of my Mac systems were upgraded at home were upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mac OS X Lion, I did not noticed that Apple left out of Lion (when freshly installed like on my Mac Mini Server) iDVD and iWeb.
For iWeb not a very big deal since I can user the awesome Wiki3 bundled with the server, but iDVD was something I used from time to time to create slideshows and movies to be played in standard DVD players (yes, Apple, there are still some around 😉 ).
With much surprise, I’ve discovered that iDVD can be “installed” on my Mini Server by proceeding as follows:
- on your Mac where you still have an iDVD version, right click on the application and select “Compress iDVD”
- on your Mac in folder /Library/Application Support/iDVD, compress the subfolder Themes using same technique
- copy the two compressed files on your new Lion and unzip them by double clicking on the compressed files.
- copy the iDVD package (the one with the blue icon resembling a DVD) in your Applications folder
- create a folder named iDVD in /Library/Application Support/
- copy the Themes directory in /Library/Application Support/iDVD folder
- launch iDVD and enjoy
Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my
twitter group? There’s a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thanks
No problems at all.
And if you want to follow me on Twitter also, I’m @roarinpenguin.
Worked first time. Many thanks.
Glad it helped.
This seems useful stuff. I have been in touch with my daughter who has SL on her iMac. She doesn’t seem to have iDVD listed under Application Support. Puzzling. I am remote from her so I’ve being attempting to guide her via the ‘phone. Tricky. Any idea how I can direct her to the right location?
Did you try searching it with spotlight in the top right corner of the OS X interface?