Oct 072014
 

I’ve just activated a strong auth system to access this blog as Administrator.

It is a system we also use where I work and it is amazing for the simplicity and security blend that it adds to the authentication process.

They have huge integration with a number of systems and technologies, and you can find WordPress specific one here.

It is free up to ten users, but also paid versions have negligible prices (like 1$/user/month).

It really rocks for usability and strength of auth process.

Enjoy!

Feb 032009
 

Quick and dirty commands from commandline:

mysql -u <user> -p<password>
mysql> CREATE DATABASE wordpress;
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON wordpress.* TO ‘wpuser’@’localhost’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘dbpassword’;
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ‘wpuser’@’localhost’ = OLD_PASSWORD(‘dbpassword’);
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
mysql> quit;

Dec 272007
 

This bit of experience has been “grabbed-as-is” from another blog. See page bottom for details…

If you’ve tried using the Postie plug-in (version 1.1.1, anyway) with WordPress 2.3, you’ve probably seen that the feature related to Categories do not work. The database schema changed for WordPress2.3, and Postie was reading categories directly from the tables with SQL calls.

Thanks to efforts of a few others, who nearly got it right, I managed to cobble together a fix that allows emailed posts to be categorized and add a default category to emailed posts that do not include category details. Credit/kudos to Olivier and Greg and Benjamin for comments and work referenced on the Postie page.

I don’t mean to detract from the work these gentlemen did before I stumbled across the same problem. I tried implementing their corrections, but had a different problem that nobody else mentioned: only a fraction of my established categories appeared in the list on the config page. It had similar problems locating Categories specified in the email subject. The solution was to provide an additional parameter in the call to get_categories(). For efficiency, I also pulled the call to create a local list of categories out of a foreach loop, so that the same work wasn’t being done multiple times, in the case of an email specifying multiple categories. (Always optimyze…)

Continue reading »

Dec 232007
 

Again on WP migration.

My previous 2.0.11 installation was having DB collation and Character Set configured as latin1 (by default with WordPress 2.0.x).

Bad thing happened when I exported my sql db and reimported in new 2.3.1 installation (defaulting at UTF-8) and saw all accented characters displayed as question marks, ugly signs, etc. 🙁

I also tried exporting as UTF-8 in WP 2.0, but soon realized that WP 2.0.x does not include support for UTF-8 Character Set.

Found a solution in a blog, and reporting it here to avoid spending again two days in future Googling… and testing. Continue reading »

Dec 232007
 

I recently upgraded my WordPress database from 2.0.11 to 2.3.1.I was writing a post, clicked Save and I got a

WordPress database error: Table <tablename>.wp_post2cat doesn’t exist

nasty error.

I dug a bit on the Net and found it was a plugin, in my case Goosle Sitemap plugin, doing a query like

SELECT * FROM wp_categories

when this table is not anymore in WP 2.3.1.

Updating the plugin fixed the issue.